What is SMAS?
SMAS, or Safety Management Advisory Service, is a popular and well-recognised SSIP which demonstrates that a contractor has met the core criteria in their health and safety assessment.
It's one of the main SSIPs alongside CHAS, SafeContractor, ConstructionLine and Exor and is highly recommended if you would like to increase the visibility of your business and get approval for tender lists.
Once you have SMAS accreditation, you will be recognised amongst all other member schemes as meeting health and safety standards; hence, you will not have to complete any further health and safety assessments.
Benefits of SMAS accreditation
An SSIP accreditation such as SMAS, is hugely beneficial for your business as it will enable you to use the SMAS WorkSafe logo and certification.
This demonstrates competence with health and safety practice and procedures making you appear far more reliable and capable to potential clients and satisfying the HSE if they ever pay a visit.
You will also be included on the SMAS database which increases your visibility to clients which is far more cost-effective than a major marketing campaign.
What do I need for my SMAS Application?
With Safecontractor and SMAS both now requiring all new members assessments to include the SafePQQ and PAS91 respectively. All clients will now require a significant number of extra documents in order to attain the accreditations. SSD can help you keep you assessment status while keeping costs as low as possible. A one off fee of £300 +VAT will give you all the policies you need to gain these extra parts of the assessment. This package includes Environmental, Modern Slavery, Anti-Bribery, Equality, Equal Opportunities and Quality Policies to help you gain the Assessment you need.
The SMAS application process is quite lengthy and requires a lot of health and safety documentation to be submitted which is why many businesses seek the support of a professional consultant.
All businesses applying for SMAS are asked to provide:
- Their Safety Advisors CV
- Proof of Safety Advisors Qualification
- Signed Health and Safety Policy Statement
- Full Health and Safety Policy
- Recent Safety Inspection Reports
- PAT Test records
- Plant Certification such as Thorough Inspection Certificate
- Fire Risk Assessment
- Safety Audit Reports
- Subcontractor Competence Questionnaire
- Labour Only Operative Signing onto Safety Arrangements
- A Method Statement
- A Risk Assessment
- Coshh Assessments
- Training Matrix showing all employees
- Training Matrix showing labour only operatives
- Qualification proof for the Director/Owner in charge of day to day safety
- Supervisors Qualification Certificates
- Operatives Qualification Evidence
- Asbestos Awareness Qualifications
- Explanation and remedial actions following HSE interventions within the last 5 years
- Details of any RIDDOR Reportable accidents
- A report of the actions taken to prevent recurrence of the accident
- Toolbox Talk Registers
- Minutes of Health and Safety Meetings
- Details of your company’s welfare requirements
Need help with SMAS Accreditation?
At Safety Services, Direct, our chartered health and safety experts have years of experience in helping businesses, big or small, achieve SMAS accredited status.
We can make the often long and complicated process quick and easy, helping your business gain a SMAS certificate and access to the SMAS logo.
If you are struggling with your SMAS WorkSafe Application, or simply want someone else to manage the process so that you can concentrate on the day to day running of your business, then give us a call today on 01237 477 931 or email email@example.com
To discuss how we can help you through the SMAS WorkSafe Health and Safety Assessment scheme in order to gain your SMAS certification, and provide you with a no obligation quote the get in touch. Just call us on 01237 477 931 for more information.